Sunday, March 16, 2008

The 900-Pound Red Gorilla

Red Gorilla Music Fest 2008 (RGMF) is officially over. Yes folks, the week that every indie hopeful dreams of has finally come to a close. The rocking sets have been rocked, the whiskey has been shwilled, and our mini-van, returned. This being our second trip to Austin, TX for the RGMF, we had a much better idea of what to expect from the live music capitol of the world.

The twelve hour trip from Nashville flew by as we (H-BEAM, accompanied by Tour Manager Mr. Tom Crowly) headed to central Texas with a recently acquired handle of liquid courage, our mini-van packed to the brim with gear, our excitement and adrenaline keeping us pumped. As we pulled into town, we knew nothing had changed. Austin was weirder than ever.

The RGMF had expanded to I believe four new venues making seven total on 6th street (please correct me if I'm wrong. There is no awesomely designed festival guide designed by Ms. Kelly Fenton in front of me). We pulled into town about 12:30am late Wednesday night/Thursday moring which was just in time to catch up with the boys in The Loft and the RGMF Staff. We turned in pretty quick.

Thursday March, 13th. The day of the show. We started off with a little morning wake up sesh, plenty of oranges, coffee and greens. Followed by a five minute trip to the 6th Street pandemonium, where we were able to catch the incredible sets by Nashville's AutoVaughn and the Hollywood Kills, as well as Tulsa's The Effects. Awesome shows guys. Thanks for making it out to ours.

After the rock, we grabbed some killer Thai and headed back to the van to prepare. Time to hit the streets. The Love Panda posed for pictures, the Rhythm Chicken wailed some gnarly solos, Hop-a-long promoted for the show, all amidst the total chaos of 6th Street. Too much fun. Lots of pictures and interviews. Send them here if you got em. I truly believe the outrageous promotional methods will soon become staple for the annual event. Plans for next year are already being made.

Fast forward past the smooth load in to the moment of truth. Show Time. I had heard of bands flying as far as Italy to play ONE forty minute set in front of a small crowd for no guarantee. That's RGMF/SXSW for ya folks. Thank God we only drove Twelve hours. Plus, WHAT A GREAT CROWD. The excitement and energy was apparent before the first note. It was go time and we were ready.

I truly believe it was one of the most energetic shows we have played to date. The notes were right on, the pinky's were well used, the banter felt natural. I speak for myself when I say I don't think I could have asked for a better performance. It helps having great guys to play with, and an incredible crowd full of new and familiar faces. Thanks again everybody for having a blast with us. Dylan (the Hollywood Kills), you were the perfect "Sex" Panda.

After the set, we quickly decompressed and got a night of debauchery underway. For those of you at the VelvetBrick after party, Topher's neck is fine and he is NOT the father. I will say that the Best Wurst is a fine bratwurst establishment and I highly recommend it if you have the means. We somehow made it back to our buddy Chris' house where we all managed to make it into our beds (couches and sleeping bags), and the day was over.

Friday was short-lived in Austin as we only got to catch our buddies in The Running and The Last Straw. (Sorry we couldn't stay the whole time guys). It was then off to Dallas to make a stop at the Green Elephant. The RGMF was over for H-Beam.

The Matt Walberg wrap-up:

After Decompressing at home all day Sunday, I can't even begin to tell you how much fun we had. Here at H-Beam, Inc., we are already plotting over new and more efficient ways to make the most out of RGMF next year. We're not looking for the majors to come swindling and flocking, just to get more of you die-hards listening to H-Beam. I love being a poor rock and/or roll musician and I have realized that I would not wish for any other path. I cannot wish for instant success for it is generally short-lived. Success will come in the form of longevity. H-Beam is doing this the right way. The weird way. The way that others have told us to abandon, to stray, and others to stay the course. I know I will play till I die, and I will be able to find the means.
I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

It's always fun driving 900 miles and still being surrounded by familiar faces. To all the bands, promoters, young entrepreneurs, and super-fans: Keep rocking, be safe and think weird till we meet again. Hopefully sooner that RGMF '09.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home